Monday, August 13, 2012

Hello Humansdorp

I decided to stay in Humansdorp on Tuesday. Now, it's a statement when the main road has over three bottle stores and every bar; including a 3-star hotel, sells quarts. The first tavern I went to -- which is just as you enter the town -- goes by the name "Hen's Den". And if a sports bar has a sign that says "No knives", then you know they have had to deal with that type of problem before. It is a rather specific statement, and clear one. Even the crudely-drawn sportsmen on the door could persuade the more discerning customer to seek refreshments elsewhere. Then again, with a Black Label Quart for R12.50, I would definitely suggest that you make a turn.

Upon entering  I noticed it had all the trim and tinsel of a dangerous place. It was a small bar occupied by manual labourers. I have learnt that people; in most cases, simply are. Most assumptions are just that. When I told them what I was doing I got a very warm response. In the first few minutes of being there I was asked what the English was for a woman's genitals and rectum. Colourful to say the least.  This inquest came from a fine gentleman call Brendan. He was not without charm. In fact, everyone was particularly friendly. Sure, I am a suburban white boy but the expected pangs of discontent were not there, and as soon as conversation began I started to feel at home. I definitely spent some time getting to know the place before I headed off.

I then went to the Humansdorp Hotel bar. Although I spent quite some time sitting there, no one acknowledged me. The bar-lady at Hen's Den explained it best: "Die Wyne is te duur". I intend to use that.

Even the quart specials are more expensive than Hen's Den's normal prices. Hen's Den even sell apple sour shots for R3, in case you were wondering. The bar area was just as expansive. It had the prerequisite pool tables and behind the bar was a pillar upon which the optic hung. A novel idea, I will give it that. Even though there was probably more happening in J-bay at 6pm on a Tuesday, there are enough brochures about the place to make a 3 piece suit out of. Here is to living outside your comfort zone right?

No comments:

Post a Comment