Sunday, October 28, 2012

Story of The Bumper and Stuff

Now as I have said, it was not in my budget to spent R3500 on fixing the car. So on Wednesday my father did a lot of calling around to find a place that had a a front bumper for a Mazda 323. Eventually he found one in Somerset West. He needed to take his Yamaha XS1100 in for a service at the Suzuki Shop in Grabouw anyway so the next day we left early to take his bike in and get my bumper.

When we dropped his bike off one of the guys as the shop told us about a place there in Grabouw called On Route that could help us. We though we might as well stop by and see if they had the parts we needed, as it would saved us a bit in petrol. Sadly they did not have the bumper, but I was able to get my right hand side light for R50 and the back light cover (which someone had broken while it was parked in Swellendam of all places) for R150. They also had an amazing scrapyard were you could rummage for parts that you might need. If I were the type of person who restored cars that would be like a scratch patch to a crystal healer Already we were off to a good start.

We found the place in Somerset West, and got the bumper for R300, and a little strip of plastic that when under the light for R45. The bumper was black. I was in no mood to pay for it be sprayed to match the rest of the car and at first glance the black actually looked rather cool. Plus I saw a two-and-a-half story Iron Man sculpture. It was incredible, and made the trip that much more amazing.

Yes, it is as cool as you think it is.
On the way back we stopped off at the Grabouw Farm Stall and picked up some Springbok Pies. I know it has been said that Nanaga has the best pies; but that is an outright lie, a sinister farrago and just not true. The best venison pies come exclusively from The Grabouw Farm Stall. No argument. This is not a matter of opinion, or taste, its hard science. It falls under Piedology. Besides, it has become a ritual for me over the last few years.


Seeing as I had not slept the night before, I started to fall asleep on the way back. When we got home I made a valiant attempt to do the last of my packing but my body was having none of it. So I called it an early night, for the next day was bound to be brutal.

I feel so dirty for doing this. Must wash away shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment