Monday, October 29, 2012

Replacing A Mazda 323 Bumper

When it comes to most things that seem difficult, there is often a trick to doing it that makes it a lot easier. So first I will explain how I stumbled around and then I will give you the trick. So if you just want to know how to do it then feel free to skip the exposition.

When I removed the bumper, I did not remove the lights, so I had to crawl under the car and get my dainty hand into tight spaces to remove the bolts. It was a labour of extreme frustration. I knew I was doing something wrong, because there was no way a large-handed mechanic could have used my approach. If half of the bumper in question had not been cracked and hanging to the ground then it would have been nearly impossible.

So flashback to last week Thursday.  I woke up around six in the morning, parked my car in the garage, and just stared at the car for a while. With just the side lights removed, I realized there was still not enough space to put the bolts in, so I removed the headlights as well. I spent an hour struggling with the bumper and getting it to fit onto the brackets; but one of the was bent, which made things even more difficult. I even removed one, tried to hammer it straight (which only resulted in chipping the cement floor). After I put the bracket back on and got two bolts in I realized that I had been a massive berk the entire time. I just had to remove the bracket and then it was a dream to attach it to the bumper. Putting the bracket onto the body of the car was as easy as outrunning a toddler in quicksand. Once the bumper was done, all I had to do was put the light back on and sit back with personal admiration.

Now for the tech stuff. On a Mazda 323 the bumper is bolted at four points to a bracket that is screwed onto the body of the car. To get to the bracket you need to remove the lights. So pop the hood and have at it. The first lights you will need to remove the side lights: unscrew the plastic bit under the headlight (I don't know if it has a technical name) then the headlights themselves. Now when you look down you will be able to see the bracket clearly, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. First you have to unscrew and unbolt the sides of the bumper which, if you look at from underneath, should be quite clear. Once the brackets have been unscrewed  the bumper will be off. Then just remove the brackets, put them on the new bumper and reverse the steps. No big shake. It should take just under an hour, perhaps a bit longer if you are doing it for the first time. You will need a 14 and a ten ratchet and a Phillips screwdriver. If you can find some one to occasionally bring you coffee while you work, that would be ideal.  If you take spray painting out of the equation, this will take a R1500 job and turn it into a R300 job. I know I don't have an extra R1200 just lying around, so if you are strapped for cash then this is a great way to save money.

The car in the garage, as if you can't tell
There you can see the bracket on the bumper
The new bumper on the car

No comments:

Post a Comment