Saturday, November 3, 2012

Happy Halloween


So I head out of Cape Town on the beautiful R27 that runs along the coast up to Velddrif. As I was coming up to Melkbosstand I felt the car swerving to the right. After a few kilometers this became more and more pronounced. Now I did not want to appear drunk and embarrass myself in front of my fellow drivers (and something could be seriously wrong), so I pulled into The Caltex just before the Melkbosstrand Road (M19). My rear left tyre had deflated quite a bit. The culprit was a huge nail I must have picked up on the way. It was easy enough to fix. This time, unlike all the other times I had my puncture fixed, the attendant told me I could buy the kit for R65.00. If you are on a journey and the probability of flat or punctures are quite high, then one of these kits are essential; as well as a pair of pliers to remove the offending object.

The procedure is quite simple. Just pull out the object -- in my case, the nail -- take the first tool, stick it in the hole to make it bigger (no really just follow me with this), the take a piece of sticky rubber that looks like Freddy Kruger's pet worms, put it through the eye of a massive needle, stick it in the hole, then pull it out. Ta-da, your puncture is fixed. If you have something to inflate your tyres with you then you are a self-sufficient fixing machine. You can even start hunting down people who have punctures and offering to rescue them at a price. Also, the little rubber ooze-worms are available at most hardware stores, so it shouldn't be too hard to turn a profit on the venture (if you exclude the fact that petrol costs more than gold plated condoms).

So it looks like Halloween started off with a trick for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment