Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Wildernessking

Caveat
Yes I do like my metal, but it's kind of a bumpy relationship. More than a few times I get put off by repetition and jarring screams that drown out any semblance of melody. It has made me more and more apprehensive about going to metal gigs. I do the headbanging thing for a while, but then I wonder to myself .. am I actually enjoying the music? That's why when I went to Zula in Cape Town for Frontline I was blown away by Wildernessking's performance. They had the screaming vocals, but unlike many other bands that would get lumped into the same genre with them, it did not overpower the sound. Instead it was an accompaniment to a powerful melody. So let me tell you a bit about the guys, and the band I was lucky enough to sit down with for a few hours and chat to.


The Sound
They call themselves a Black Metal band. They definitely have a metal grounding. It has the kind of sound that hits the body, yet maintains a thoughtful melody. The vocals add a raw power to the songs that doesn't hammer the listener, but takes them on a journey instead. They are the kind of anthems you expect to hear behind an ancient army coming out of a snow-clad and black-barked forest, their breath hanging in the air. It is a mature metal that brings to the fold many different ways the genre can sound, without losing their own.
They have one full album, The Writing of Gods in the Sand, and an EP, ...And the Night Swept Us Away.
Give them a listen at Last.FM.


The Guys
Not only is their music good, but they are genuinely nice people. After I saw them perform at Zula I approached Keenan about meeting up, and I am glad that they took me up on it. I met them at the house of one of the band members, and the atmosphere was very chilled. I really enjoyed their company and the passion they had for the music, and the band itself. Some of the band members have jobs on the side and others are still studying, but they still put in the effort to make the band a success and the music sound good. I can't help but want these guys to be famous.They have a great attitude and I look forward to their future fame.

The members of the band are as follows:
Keenan Nathan Oakes - Bass, Vocals
Jesse Navarre Vos- Guitars
Dylan Viljoen - Guitars
Jason Jardim - Drums


The Beginning
Keenan and Dylan had a band called "Heathens" but when Jason and Jesse joined in 2011, they changed the name to Wildernessking. What really impressed me was how they jumped straight into writing an album with Antithec Records. Very often I see bands that play for about six months, get a bit of a following, but subject the crowd to the same set over and over, once in a while bring out a new song, and then only do they sit down and record an album. Now I know there are a lot of logistical reasons for this, but I take my hat off to Wildernessking for getting it done. It gave them a strong footing to start from, with a wide range of songs they can bring to the stage, as well as a chance to explore the sound of the band and solidify the group. From the get-go they took what they were doing seriously and were able to produce marketable product, aside from their live performances.  


Writing
Now I have no musical talent, and all the writing I do involves me sitting down and deciding what words to put down before my editor tries to clean up the mess. So I was very interested to hear these guys write their songs.

They told me that they write their music together. There is no one person that goes off into quiet corner with a notepad and plans the next song. They work together, taking a simple riff or drum line and build on it. This collaborative approach works for them because of their relationship. There are no hard feelings if some one says "Hey I don't think that works," and they welcome the input from other band members. In fact they are exited to see what the other person is going to do with it, or where they are going to take it. They see songs as fluid, and can be approached in many different ways. They also like to experiment with different sounds and styles. This gives their songs more variety and depth.

They are exited for what will come from their new album. The album they wrote was the first chapter in their music, reflecting them at the time of writing it. The new one will be them now. Also, the way they are approaching the new album is a bit different. They are spending much more time rehearsing the songs, thus giving them more leeway with what they want to get out of the songs.

The EP was their way of trying something different, staying active and seeing what else works for them. One of the results from their feedback is that they are working on an acoustic set. This not only opens them up to many different venues and gigs, but also showcases their diversity.

Cover Art: The Writing of Gods in the Sand
The Scene
Coming from Port Elizabeth it as strange to hear them refer to Cape Town as small, but I see their point. With most scenes that have a niche appeal the crowd becomes rather recycled. Its not as though all of a sudden three hundred people are about to suddenly start going to metal gigs, unless they have a marketing genius at the venue. I have to admit, I have fallen into that trap myself: Oh look a gig. Do I know any one in that band? Should I go out and see what local music sounds like these days? Nah, I'll just stay at home, watch My Little Pony and drink wine.

No more, no more I say. Often we complain about the state of local music, or only talk about the bands we see on MK. If this does not apply to you, then wicked; but if it does, brush the Doritos crumbs off your chest, log out of Guild Wars 2, and go see a band.

Cover Art: ...And the Night Swept Us Away
The Future
I personally cannot wait to see what happens with these guys. They are planning to start touring next year. So if you want to see these guys in your town jump on their Facebook and let them know. If you do see that they are coming to your town don't miss it.

They are also busy with their second album and a collaboration/split album with The Great Ones.

In Closing
Wildernessking is a great band, with a fresh and creative approach to the metal genre. They are a friendly bunch, and worthy of our support. Please check out the music video below, and a list of all the places on the web you can go and enjoy their music or share you comments.

Also the vinyl edition for their first album is available, mastered specifically for that medium. Apparently that gives it a warmer sound, but either way vinyls are cool, so get one.

http://www.wildernessking.com/
http://wildernessking.bandcamp.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Wildernessking
http://www.last.fm/music/Wildernessking
http://www.youtube.com/wildernessking

No comments:

Post a Comment